Whatever Happened to Worship?
A Call to True Worshipby A.W. Tozer, 1985
Tozer’s original messages on worship have been rewritten by Gerald B. Smith in inferior expressions that approximate the ideas expounded by Tozer, but which pale in comparison to the originals. Much of the wonderful message shows through, but it still has been diminished by this poor rendition. Fortunately, the original audio is now available for download in mp3 format. The messages will inspire you to want to experience true worship.
- Worship in the Christian Church — This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 1, Cassette #4.
- True Worship Demands the New Birth — The need for the fear of God. This chapter may not even come from the tape series at all.
- Much That Is Called Worship Is Not — This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 1, Cassette #3.
- Born to Worship God — The tragic state of the human race, born to worship God but unaware of this glorious purpose. Sin has marred God’s image on the earth. This chapter poorly captures sections of Volume 1, Cassettes #1 and #2.
- We Must Worship Only the Eternal God — This chapter poorly captures sections of Volume 1, Cassette #1.
- Awed by the Presence of God — Isaiah’s vision of God. The minor theme from one of the cassettes—I don’t recall which because I made notes only on the major themes.
- Genuine Worship Involves Feeling — This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 1, Cassette #5.
- Churches That Fail God Fail Also in Worship — This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 2, Cassette #5.
- The Normal Christian Worships God — This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 2, Cassette #4.
- If You Worship on Sunday, What Happens on Monday? — This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 2, Cassette #1.
- Volume 1, Cassette #1: The Chief End of Man Part I — The human race has had a fall; we don’t remember why we are here; we are here to worship God; the man who knows this knows more than the most educated man; life seems pointless to those who deny our sinful state, but we know the beauty and glory of being created for a purpose: to worship God.
- Volume 1, Cassette #2: The Chief End of Man Part II — Why are we here? Some think we are here to work, but work only leads to more work; some think we are here to improve ourselves, but we all will end up in the grave; some think we are here to enjoy ourselves, but the world’s pleasures are fleeting; man is the darling of God’s creation, created to be a reflection of the glory of God; we will worship something—if not God, then something else; we may try to blame others, but we are responsible; God didn’t give up on us, He redeemed us.
- Volume 1, Cassette #3: The Power Behind True Worship — God wants mankind to worship Him; Mankind wants to worship God; Authentic religious experience is possible apart from Christ; Worship apart from Christ is not acceptable to God; Selective theology is not proper worship; Nature worship is not proper worship; Worship originates from God and is reflected from us, He accepts no other kind.
- Volume 1, Cassette #4: Worship Before Work — The purpose of God in redemption is to make worshippers out of rebels; God wants worshippers much more than He wants workers; Worship is the normal employment of God’s creatures; Worship is a moral imperative; The church is sadly lacking in worshippers.
- Volume 1, Cassette #5: The Joys of True Worship — One cannot worship without understanding what worship is; Worship is an inward attitude and a sustained act; Worship is to feel in the heart and to express in some appropriate manner a humbling but delightful sense of admiring awe; Worship is boundless confidence in the character of God; Worship is the love of God for who He is; Worship is fascination filled with moral excitement; Worship is adoration made incandescent by the Holy Spirit; We never need to leave Church if we are worshippers.
- Volume 2, Cassette #1: Worship: A Total Life Experience — Only God should be worshipped; Jesus is worthy to be worshipped; The humanity and Deity of Jesus: meekness and majesty united; If you can’t worship the Lord on Monday, you didn’t worship Him on Sunday; True worship encompasses our entire lives; There can be no area of life untouched by worship; There is no worship fully pleasing to God until there is nothing in me displeasing to God; If your business does not honor God, you cannot honor God; If you want to die right, you have to live right; If you can’t worship God everywhere, you haven’t worshipped Him anywhere.
- Volume 2, Cassette #2: Worship: The Soul’s Craving — Religious people have always been a bound people; Jesus showed us that rather than a yoke upon our necks, religion can be wings on our souls; Men have enslaved themselves to externals; In true worship, we are not tied down to a certain location—there is no right place to worship; we are portable sanctuaries; Worship is not in religious icons; Worship is not in which foods you eat or don’t eat; Worship is not restricted to particular times.
- Volume 2, Cassette #3: Worship from the Heart — You can’t worship without the Holy Spirit; We’ve got to be sincere if we’re going to worship God; There must be complete honesty before God; Worship must come from simplicity of heart; True worship is internal; Your soul is a God-shaped garment and God wants to clothe Himself with it but cannot because there is too much rubbish in it; We can empty ourselves but we cannot clean ourselves; We are the natural habitat of the Holy Spirit; He comes not as a guest, but as an inhabitant; Sin will prevent worship.
- Volume 2, Cassette #4: The Object of True Worship — We can worship Jesus the man without idolatry because He is also God; He is the Lord of all being; He is the Lord of all life; He is the Lord of all wisdom and all righteousness; He is the Lord of all mercy and all power and all beauty; Jesus Christ gives us His beauty; God want to get our eyes off the gifts and onto the Person; The spiritual life is the enthroned Lord living within.
- Volume 2, Cassette #5: Let’s Move on to Worship! — A local church exists to do corporately what each Christian should do individually, namely worship God; We are saved to worship God; The church is not a social club, a current events forum, or religious theatre; We should take whatever steps are necessary to fulfill our purpose as a church; If a church in one generation fails in its purpose, the next generation will leave the faith altogether; The individual Christian who fails to be a worshipper would be better off never to have been born; Our first interest should be to have a purified soul; The nation that isn’t clean can’t have the protection of God Almighty.