Jesus Is Victor!
A Fresh Perspective on the Book of Revelationby A.W. Tozer, 1989
Tozer’s original fifteen messages have been crushed up and broken into little bits and smashed into twelve short chapters. One might forgive the editor for eliminating the references to political figures and events contemporary to Tozer’s day, but much of the very best of Tozer’s exposition of the nature and characteristics of the Godhead have been cut out also. His eloquent and passionate description of these wonders has been reduced to a mere mention—an occasional sideline in the text. This is quite possibly the worst of the Gerald B. Smith compilations. I would say it is the worst, but I have no way of judging those books for which I have no audio cassette originals. In any case, this book should have had Gerald B. Smith listed as the author since, while the ideas are certainly Tozer’s, virtually every sentence has been rewritten from the words he originally spoke.
- The Theme in Revelation:
Jesus Is Victor!— The last chapter in the book is important because it shows us who wins this Great Conflict.
- The Prophecy in Revelation:
I Am Coming Soon!— It doesn’t matter much what we believe about how it will all happen, just so long as we know that it will and reform our lives to act in accordance with being prepared for it.
- The Appeal in Revelation:
Repent, and Be Faithful!— Jesus loves His church and calls us to respond to the Holy Spirit so that we may be free of our sins and useful in His kingdom. This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 1, Cassette #2.
- The Portrait in Revelation:
The Eternal Christ!— Jesus, holy and pure, is in our midst, though perhaps not quite as we imagine Him to be. This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 1, Cassette #3.
- The Call to Worship in Revelation:
Holy, Holy, Holy!— The four beasts in the book of Revelation worship God unceasingly. This also is the purpose for which we were made. This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 1, Cassette #5.
- The Title Deed in Revelation:
Worthy Is the Lamb!— Jesus Christ is the only One worthy to open the title deed to creation. His dominion through sacrifice has made Him worthy. This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 1, Cassette #6.
- The Beginning of Judgments in Revelation:
The Four Horsemen!— A progression of world destruction from a wicked ruler to war to famine and death. This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 2, Cassette #1.
- The Overcomers in Revelation:
Out of the Great Tribulation!— A look at the overcomers and some serious, probing questions about how we measure up when compared to them. This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 2, Cassette #2 and Volume 2, Cassette #3.
- The Supernatural Acts in Revelation:
Blow Your Trumpets!— An overview of the trumpets and judgment and our unwillingness to hear God. This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 2, Cassette #4.
- The Human Resolution in Revelation:
We Will Not Repent!— Strange supernatural creatures torment the human race, yet they will not turn from their sins. This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 2, Cassette #5.
- The Command in Revelation:
No More Delay!— There will come a time when the judgment of God will no longer be held back. This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 2, Cassette #6, Side 1.
- The Invitation in Revelation:
Eat and Digest God’s Word!— The sweetness of God’s Word in our Christian perception of it and a question regarding whether we are truly getting all that we could be getting out of it. This chapter roughly corresponds to Volume 2, Cassette #6, Side 2.
- Volume 1, Cassette #1, Side 1: The Unveiling — John saw further from his island prison than any other man in history; A quick summary of the things John saw; A contrast of being omnipresent with being ubiquitous; Everything good has been a cause of contention; The vocabulary used in Revelation matches the vocabulary of the other books of the Bible that carry John’s name; Three schools of interpretation; How teachers of end-times prophecy have destroyed our hope; End-times beliefs ought not be taken as a test of orthodoxy; Be holy in preparation for Christ’s return.
- Volume 1, Cassette #1, Side 2: A Picture of Christ — Without prophecy, modern Christianity would be in pretty bad shape; Revelation is the disclosing of that which could not otherwise be known; How curiosity comes near to blasphemy; No secret key to understanding the Scriptures; Merely knowing the Scriptures profits us nothing; Many things God has given us as blessings have been turned into curses; Knowing the meaning of the symbols in Revelation will not make us any better off; When the Lord will come is of less importance than whether we are prepared when He does.
- Volume 1, Cassette #2: This Same Jesus — The essence of Christianity; The eternal God as seen from man’s perspective; The seven-fold Spirit as revealed in Isaiah; The illumination of the Holy Spirit more beneficial than scholastic learning; Jesus Christ is prophet, priest, and king; Grace to us, glory to Him; We have been made kings and priests; Jesus is coming back in the same manner as He was seen to go; Every eye will see Him, and those that knew Him will recognize Him.
- Volume 1, Cassette #3: Preparation of the Church — Two kinds of ignorance; The true meaning and results of being a Christian; Christ in the midst is better than any status symbol; A true portrait of Christ; Two kinds of priesthood; The futility of preaching to preachers; We see, but Christ sees through; The sword of the Lord; Real knowledge of Jesus Christ eliminates pride; The church is here to get ready as a bride gets ready for her groom.
- Volume 1, Cassette #4: Qualification of the King — Three doctrines of the end; The king must be a native of the earth; The king must have unspotted holiness; The king must have unchallenged right to reign; The failings of earthly leaders; Jesus is compassionate enough to rule; Jesus is wise enough to rule; Jesus has the power to rule. (Text from Psalm 2 rather than Revelation)
- Volume 1, Cassette #5: The Throne of God — Difficulties in describing the indescribable; Two substances in the universe: God and His handiwork; The symbols for God ought not be confused with God Himself; Judgment comes according to the light a people has received; When you love someone, you can never have too many pictures of them; The four creatures; Unceasing worship; Are you fulfilling your purpose?
- Volume 1, Cassette #6, Side 1: The Mysterious Book — Differing opinions about the book; The ownership of the world is challenged; Several types of men who have failed in their attempts to prove ownership over the world; God blesses the man with tears in his eyes; Politics cannot solve our problems.
- Volume 1, Cassette #6, Side 2: The Lamb and the Lion — The lion of the tribe of Judah has prevailed; Jesus is Victor! The lion is a lamb; Jesus defeated His enemies by dying for them; The law of the jungle is the law of sin and death; Man conquers by spilling the blood of his enemies, while Christ conquered by shedding His own blood; Following God is both easy and hard; Learn to live like a lamb.
- Volume 2, Cassette #1: The Four Horsemen — The vain hope of peace on Earth; Patience: the power to wait; The rider on the white horse rules by duplicity; The rider on the red horse brings war; Our pampered opulence will be our downfall; Pray for leaders.
- Volume 2, Cassette #2: The Persecuted Saints — The altar of martyred souls; The fallacy of soul-sleep; Four states of a ransomed man: lost on earth, saved on earth, waiting in heaven, glorified in heaven; The men who thought they could control things will someday cry out for the rocks to fall on them; Who shall be able to stand? He who has forsaken the world.
- Volume 2, Cassette #3: The 144,000 — The four corners of the earth; The characteristics of angels; Materialism; Believing in belief in the supernatural rather than believing in the supernatural; We own nothing; Difference in degrees in heavenly life; Who are the 144,000? Christian cultists; Our religion isn’t costing us very much.
- Volume 2, Cassette #4: When the Trumpet Sounds — The outcome of all things will be determined by the prayers of the saints; God speaks in many ways but sinning men are not listening; Too much vain preaching causes truth to be treated callously; Will we hear the trumpet if we cannot hear the still small voice? You’ve heard so much and done so little.
- Volume 2, Cassette #5: Invaders from Outer Space? — Spiritual creatures from another world move in on our world; The world is essentially spiritual; We focus too much on the physical and ignore the spirit; Death is not the worst thing that can happen to a man; Failing God is the worst thing that can happen to a man; God holds our lives in His hand; Rebellious men cannot be forced to repent; It would be better to die right than to live wrong.
- Volume 2, Cassette #6, Side 1: The Mighty Angel — God does not forget His promises; Everybody ought to read Church history and the biographies of the saints; While grace is still operative there will be no end to the human race; God is going to judge a world that is ill prepared for judgment; You might get away with just about anything here, but there is a place where you won’t get away with anything.
- Volume 2, Cassette #6, Side 2: The Little Book — God’s Word is bitter to the flesh: people who live by it come to trouble in the world; We ought not pity people who suffer from the results of sin—our suffering is our own fault; If we were in Heaven truth would be universally sweet, but since we are not, it is very harsh and bitter to us so we compromise it; Christians often want to use the cross to save us from the cross—thinking that if we behave ourselves like good Christians, we’ll avoid trouble the rest of our lives; The book is very sweet while you chew it, so long as you don’t swallow it; A revival in a church is when a good percentage of the people decide to swallow the book.